The Konopiště Castle was originally founded as a gothic fortress and rebuilt in the 18th century. Gradual constructions adjustment transformed it into a romantic castle boasting luxurious interiors. In 1887 the castle was bought by František Ferdinand, heir to the crown of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. He converted the castle into an ostentatious residence and lived there until his assassination in Sarajevo in 1914.
Karlštejn Castle was founded by Charles IV in the 14th century, a great and famous period for the Czech Kingdom. The castle’s rich decoration includes priceless work of art such as valuable gothic frescoes and a large portrait gallery of Czech rulers that is representative of the stunning secular art of this period.
First you will visit the Konopiště castle where you can choose from two different circuits:
- Circuit I: Representative chambers of southern wing: rose room, dining room, guest rooms…Franz Ferdinand’s hunting trophy collection and a breathtaking collection of contemporary furniture, paintings and Meissen porcelain.
- Circuit II: Representative chambers of southern wing: armoury (a collection of period arms and armours ranking among the largest in central Europe), smoking lounge, library, archduke’s private lift, chapel etc.
The next stop is at Karlštejn Castle. Following the first circuit, you will visit the historical interior of the Imperial Palace and the lower floors of the Marian Tower (Courtier's Hall, Hall of Knights with St. Nicolas’ chapel, Chapter Deanery, Royal Bedroom, Audience and Banquet Halls, Hall of Ancestors, Treasury and Jewels’ Hall, former castle prison).
Between these two sightseeing tours there will be a lunch stop in a traditional Czech pub.
- Sightseeing tour availability: Everyday from April 1st until October 31st, except Mondays
- Departure: from Prague at 9.30 am
- You can be picked up at the hotel (approx. 30 min) before departure, we will contact you beforehand and specify the hour depending on which hotel you are staying at. Alternatively, you may join us right at the departure place (10 min before leaving), which is marked on the information board of Best Tour on Wenceslas square number 27.
- Duration: 8–9 hours
- 1 minibus and a guide
- Lunch and guided tour in both visits